TSHP Residency Program Excellence Award
2019 Submission Deadline: December 15
Self-nominations are encouraged and accepted for the TSHP Residency Program Excellence Award.
The purpose of the Program Award is to annually recognize a pharmacy residency program that has a track record of excellence in the training of pharmacy residents and consistently provides an exceptionally positive and rewarding experience to their residents. By recognizing these programs and their accomplishments, they can serve as role models in sustained excellence, achievement, and innovation in residency training.
Programs should be ASHP accredited and have a track record of having a positive influence on the careers of residency graduates. Programs should employ unique and innovative methods for teaching and quality improvement; provide an excellent practice environment for residency training and learning; and have an organized process for the development of excellent residency preceptors.
The program director for the award winning pharmacy residency program will be expected to provide a summary of the program’s track record of excellence that can serve as an example for other institutions. This summary will be in written format. The recipients of the Pharmacy Residency Program Excellence Award will be honored at the TSHP Annual Seminar.
Nominations for this award will be evaluated based on the following areas:
- The residency program uses innovative techniques to train residents and provides a quality environment for residency training.
- A formal system for continuous quality improvement is employed and goes beyond the minimum requirements for accreditation.
- The environment in which training occurs is conducive to resident learning, attentive to residents training needs, and provides a role model for excellence in patient care.
- The residency program has a sustained record of successfully trained program graduates who are making significant achievements in pharmacy practice development.
- The residency program has led the pharmacy department to achieve excellence in pharmacy services and has contributed to the new development or expansion of pharmacy services.
Eligibility & Nomination Requirements
- The Residency Program supports and highly encourages the development and achievement of residency preceptors and program directors on a continuous basis.
Nominees should meet the following eligibility requirements:
- ASHP-accredited residency program (PGY1 or PGY2)
- Letters of support should address points identified in the selection criteria. Suggested letters of support include:
a. Letters from former residents that describe the impact the residency program had on his or her professional career and
how the program influenced the resident’s skills and teaching abilities. Letters of support should contain the year the
resident graduated from the residency program.
b. A letter from the employer or administrator of the healthcare practice site describing the residency programs
integration into the organization’s healthcare goals and the impact on the organization.
c. A letter from the director of pharmacy or manager of pharmacy services attesting to the residency programs
achievements, innovation, excellence, and significant contributions to the pharmacy service or department.
- Narrative statement may be uploaded as a separate document or copied & pasted into the application form field.
- A list of former residents including name, year graduated from the residency program, title, e-mail address if available, location of practice, his or her first professional position after the completion of the residency program, their current professional position, significant publications and presentations, and their current involvement in residency training.
»Submit a nomination for this award here
The Selection Committee is made up of three (3) individuals, familiar with residency programs, and appointed by the TSHP President. The committee will complete a review of submissions to choose the award recipient by February 28 each year.